In Alberta there are three types of Casinos:
- Charitable Casinos
- First Nations Casinos
- Racing Entertainment Centres (REC)
Number of casinos in Alberta:
- 19 Traditional Charitable Casinos
- 5 First Nations Casinos
- 4 Racing Entertainment Centres (REC)
Casino Industry Highlights:
- There were 14,136 casino gaming terminals located in casinos and Racing Entertainment Centres (RECs) across Alberta as of March 31, 2016.
- Alberta has the highest concentration of table games in Canada, and the second highest concentration of electronic gaming machines (both slots and VLTs).
- In 2016, net revenue to the Alberta Lottery Fund in Alberta’s gaming industry was almost $1.4 Billion (including casino gaming, VLTs, and electronic bingo).
- ACCO members represented $852M of this or 61% of total net revenue.
- Alberta casinos contribute $291 per Albertan, this is the highest contribution from casinos compared with other Canadian provinces with private operators.
- Alberta Charitable Casino Operators are the lowest cost and most efficient operators in Canada.
- Participating charities share an equal share of electronic gaming machine proceeds with casino operators, with the bulk going to the Province of Alberta via the Alberta Lottery Fund.
- In 2016 there were 3123 charities registered for gaming operations representing approximately $258M in proceeds.